Saturday, April 24, 2010

Sam Donaldson and His Nightmare Scenario


Media Research Center describes how Sam Donaldson of ABC News dropped the names of law school dropout Al Gore and Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano to fill the Supreme Court vacancy created when John Paul Stevens announced his retirement.

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: Let's do a little politics right now. The President heading up to Wall Street right now. In the meantime, Sam, he's right in the middle of deliberations again on another supreme court pick. Replacing Justice Stevens. Who are you thinking about?

SAM DONALDSON: Well, my pick would be Janet Napolitano. She's made a star of herself in the cabinet. A puff piece in the Washington Post this morning.

STEPHANOPOULOS: The Secretary of Homeland Security.

DONALDSON: That's right. Exactly. She faced the voters in Arizona. They liked her. And I like the idea that not just federal judges. I have nothing against judges should be on the court. And I'll give you another name. Let's go further. The Constitution does not say you have to be a lawyer to be on the Supreme Court.

STEPHANOPOULOS: That's right.

DONALDSON: I give you Al Gore.

STEPHANOPOULOS: [Seemingly shocked] Al Gore?

DONALDSON: All right. He's 62. But, he's still a few years kicking [sic]. I think he's confirmable, although there would be a fight to some extent. I think he might make a very good justice.

STEPHANOPOULOS [Incredulous]: There would be a massive fight! [Laughs]

DONALDSON: I said to some extent. [Laughs]

STEPHANOPOULOS: [to Brazile]: You was his campaign manager, you think he wants it?

DONNA BRAZILE: He would be qualified. But with a Nobel Prize and Oscar, I think Al Gore's going to continue to fight for climate change....

No comments: