Friday, February 29, 2008

Soldier Wins Lottery, Volunteers for 3rd Tour in Iraq

ABC News reports that Sgt. Wayne Leyde of Mead, Washington, who completed two tours in Iraq, has decided to go back a third time after winning $1 million from a scratch-and-win ticket on Tuesday.

"I decided to walk into a local Zip Trip. I got a Coke and beef jerky and walked up to the counter and thought I'd pick up a few scratch tickets and try my luck. I was on my way out when the lady said, 'Do you have a lucky scratch coin?'

"I said 'no, you gave me a dime and nickel back.'"
"She said 'no, try this,'" handing Leyde a penny. "On my way home I started scratching tickets. They were losers. I'm thinking, boy, that lady didn't know what she was talking about."

Leyde couldn't believe it when he scratched a winning ticket, but he still plans to return to Iraq.

"It was a commitment I made about three months ago. I'm going to stick to it," Leyde said about his decision. He plans to wait for awhile before spending his winnings.

No comments: