Sunday, October 19, 2008

General Powell Endorses Barack Obama!


According to the Wall Street Journal, former Secretary of State Colin Powell announced on "Meet the Press" today that he is endorsing Sen. Barack Obama.

"I strongly believe that at this point in America's history we need a president that will not just continue … the policies that we have been following in recent years," the former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said on NBC's "Meet the Press" Sunday. "We need a transformational figure."

Gen. Powell said he had found that Sen. McCain "was a little unsure as to how to deal with the economic problems we've been having. … That concerned me."

2 comments:

Goldbach said...

Not surprised. As a three-decade veteran, let me offer a couple observations:
1) WRT the oath to "support & defend the constituion," I honestly believe many military members only take that to mean, "I won't lead a coup d'etat." This fits in with Powell's willingness to support someone so hostile to original constitutional intent.
2) Modern PME (professional military education) leads officers to think that, with just the right policy, people can be controlled into doing the right thing. Many are willing to carry that into the coercive utopianism of liberal politics. Witnss Jay Fawcett and Hal Bidlak.

"Doc Adler" said...

I was saddened to hear of Gen. Powell's decision, as he is respected by both Republicans and Democrats, but at least he waited long enough not to influence decisions by either committed Obama or McCain supporters. He might sway some undecideds, however.

As a retired veteran, I have a different interpretation of my oath to "support and defend the Constitution," which, unlike my enlistment contract, does not have an expiration date. The original intent of its framers, who understood their history and had a deep knowledge of human nature, is quite important to me, and should not be trifled with.