Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Obama May Be Chief Beneficiary of Financial Crisis

In an e-mail to a friend yesterday, I had the following comment to make about the proposed $700 billion bailout and related developments:

As a political/news junkie, I have gone ahead and read George F. Will's latest column.

This financial crisis is so wrong on so many levels, and there is plenty of blame to go around. I am aware that the Democrats are ready to exploit the moment when John McCain loses his cool, because that's when he's most likely to expose his vulnerabilities. Even though McCain and President Bush could see it coming and tried to head it off at the pass, the fact that this fiasco broke during a Republican administration creates a golden opportunity for Barack Obama. This puts many conservatives in an uncomfortable position, since I was a Romney booster, and only lately have I endorsed McCain. IMHO, I don't think this problem we have can be solved simply by throwing money at it. With so much at stake, there must be strict controls in place.

UPDATE: It has become necessary to address this hot topic with another issue of "Cutting-Edge Conservatism." If you're not on our mailing list, you can request a copy by writing to me at hammerz at hotmail-dot-com.

No comments: