Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Getting the Dialogue on Race Started Up Again

La Shawn Barber's blog stirred up the pot when she wrote about why blacks aren't exactly flocking to the Republican Party, even when they share our traditional values. Some excerpts:

I’m only one black American among millions, and I’m no authority on black people, nor do I speak for black people.

But I can provide insight.

Back in 2004, Republicans were trying to appeal to black voters. Newt Gingrich and the rest wanted to secure at least 25 percent of the “black vote.” Dream on! I poured a bucket of water over their piddling flame. Won’t work, I said. I explained my reasoning in “Why Courting the Black Vote Won’t Work,” which was published in the Washington Times.

Unlike some black conservatives and Republicans I know, I don’t think the party should appeal to voters based on skin color. I criticize white Republicans when they do it, and I’m disappointed when right-leaning blacks encourage them to do it....

“Historically speaking, the Republican Party has a far better record on race than the Democrats.”

Bravo, Bruce [Bartlett]. But if you or any other white Republican think all these facts will suddenly change black people’s minds, you’re destined to be disappointed. Democrats know they’ve got an eternal lock on 90 percent of the “black vote.” All they have to do is continue to promise black Americans bigger and better government programs and handouts (so-called affirmative action, set-aside contracts, and other entitlements qualify as handouts to me), and encourage them to blame third parties for their troubles. (And I’m talking about blacks as a group here.) No grand theories. Along with reasons I mentioned in that 2004 article (federal government as savior, for example), it is that simple. Only my opinion…

Living up to American ideals like fierce independence, radical liberty, brazen individuality, and an unfettered pursuit of happiness is just too scary and challenging for some people. They’d rather sup from the enabling teat of a system that has contributed to their condition.

The reader comments (too many to list on this posting) represent a wide variety of points-of-view, and show that the root causes defy any simplistic explanations.

No comments: